Thursday, May 3, 2007

Hepatitis B Declination Statement

The following statement of declination of hepatitis B vaccination must be signed by an employee who chooses not to accept the vaccine. The statement can only be signed by the employee following appropriate training regarding hepatitis B, hepatitis B vaccination, the efficacy, safety, method of administration, and benefits of vaccination, and that the vaccine and vaccination are provided free of charge to the employee. The statement is not a waiver; employees can request and receive the hepatitis B vaccination at a later date if they remain occupationally at risk for hepatitis B.

Declination Statement: I understand that due to my occupational exposure to blood or other potentially infectious materials I may be at risk of acquiring hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection. I have been given the opportunity to be vaccinated with hepatitis B vaccine, at no charge to me; however, I decline hepatitis B vaccination at this time. I understand that by declining this vaccine I continue to be at risk of acquiring hepatitis B, a serious disease. If, in the future I continue to have occupational exposure to blood or other potentially infectious materials and I want to be vaccinated with hepatitis B vaccine, I can receive the vaccination series at no charge to me.

Employee Signature:_____________________________ Date:____________________

Adapted from OSHA etools